Last week I was able to go riding after school with one of my coworkers. It was great to ride with someone else and learn from his experience. He showed me some new routes and was even kind enough to point out the houses with the mean dogs. Bikes are able to outrun most of the dogs, but there is one road he told me to avoid altogether because the giant Saint Bernard that lives there not only doesn’t like bikes, but he is also surprisingly fast. Not a good combination. I think I'll give that dog his space.
The second day we rode was another one of those very windy days...well over 20 mph winds. I was able to handle the cross wind much better this time, but going uphill directly into the wind proved to be a bit difficult. To say the least, I wasn’t going fast and that fact was reiterated when a mob of deer went sprinting past me up the hill. Looks like even though I have all sorts of gears on my bike the deer still have an advantage.
When the deer blasted past me I was feeling rather slow, but our next wildlife encounter made me feel much better about myself. The turtle was slowly but surely making his way north and I am proud to say that I was able to pass him with great ease.
I also went past a road-killed squirrel on the ride, but that was far less exciting than the dogs, deer and turtle.
No comments:
Post a Comment