Sunday, June 3, 2012

Speak Up and Act Out

On Sunday I had the opportunity to share at my church about the Just+Hope Campaign.  The sermon was about Esther and how she spoke up and acted out on behalf of the Jews.  The pastor shared some modern day examples of how we can speak up and act out.  During this time, I was able to share about my tour this summer and how we will be raising support for women in Asia suffering from many forms of injustice.  I'm excited humbled by the opportunity to speak up and act out for these women this summer.

The only awkward part was wearing spandex in church.  You see, the whole time the pastor was preaching I was spinning up on the stage with my bike and trainer...in spandex.  I don't know about you, but spandex are not my typical Sunday apparel.  A few years ago I feared spandex, but the more I bike the more I realize that they are an important aspect of the sport.  I've even become quite confident in my spandex, but I still feel strange wearing them to church.


One interesting thing about Esther is that it is the only book in the Bible that never mentions God.  Even though God is never directly mentioned His fingerprints can be clearly seen throughout the whole story.  As I look at my life I can see the fingerprints of God, and sometimes they are in the most unlikely places.  Who would of thought that when my dad taught me to ride my bike as a little girl it was preparing me to ride across the country to promote justice around the world?

Thank you Craig Knisley for letting me be a part of the service and thank you Westlake Church of God for your generosity, support, and prayers.

1 comment: