School was cancelled today but there will be no snow angels, snowmen or snowball fights because the world is encased in half an inch of ice. It is beautiful. I thought I would take a walk and check it all out for myself. My ‘walk’ ended up being more of a ‘slide.’ I didn’t fall down, although I came extremely close on more than one occasion. I felt a little bad walking on the grass because I could hear each individual blade of grass, so delicately wrapped in ice, cracking under my feet. Walking/skating on the road was much better. The ice was perfectly smooth and it made me wish I had some milk jugs and curling buddies (curling). Despite the ice there were still birds singing and I could hear the trees groaning in the wind under the added weight of ice. The parking lot is filled with sounds of ice scrappers trying to free cars from their icy prisons. I decided I’m not going to drive anywhere for a whileJ I guess the weather report was right even though their predictions of “extremely hazardous” and “impossible” seemed silly yesterday while the sun was out.
Needless to say, I don’t think I’ll ride my bike outside today.
Here are some pictures, but they don’t really do the whole situation justice.
“For the beauty of the earth…”



No comments:
Post a Comment