Thursday, November 11, 2010

No hands

This is a slightly embarrassing confession...especially for someone who is planning on biking across the Pacific Coast in 8 months. 

I have never been able to ride my bike with no hands. 

Riding with both hands on the handlebars is no problem.  I can even ride with just one hand while I eat an ice cream cone or talk on the phone with the other hand (both skills I picked up in college).  But I have never mastered hands free riding.  This is not from lack of trying, I just have never had the courage to let go for more than a second.  All this coming from the girl whose dad is the master of riding with no hands.  I remember taking bike rides and thinking that his hands were off the handlebars more than they were on them.

Today all of this changed!

Since it is so beautiful outside (November 11th and 75 degrees!) I decided to go for a quick ride.  Equipped with my new helmet I was braver than ever.  I just let go and kept on pedaling.  Turns out it is not actually that difficult.  I did not fall or even come that close to falling.  By no means am I ready to attempted the "flying eagle" (no hands, standing up and pedaling at the same time), but I do feel more prepared for next summer.

1 comment: