Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sunshine, Head Nods, Girls and Tails

The sunshine today was beautiful, but it was also a bit deceptive.  As I was popping my bike off the trainer so that I could ride outside the sun was steaming through the windows.  That made me think that the leggings and ear warmers would be a bit overkill.  I was wrong.  By the end of the ride my legs were chilly, my ears were frigid and my fingers were just down right cold.  Turns out those spiffy bike gloves are great for wiping snot, but not so great for keeping your fingertips warm.
After today’s ride I have given myself two new goals:
1) Clipping in and out of my pedals more effectively at intersections.
2) My head nod.  The head nod is a very important gesture when riding on a trail.  Every time I pass someone I have to give them the nod.  If the nod is too quick I’ll get labeled as a head nob snob, but if the nod is too long/big I’ll get pegged as the awkward nodding biker.
In other news, it was confirmed on the ride today that I am, in fact, a girl.  Apparently the mother and her 5 year old daughter were debating this issue as I approached them.  As I rode by the girl proudly announced, “It is a girl!”  My pigtails must have given me away.  Speaking of pigtails…Anybody out there have any suggestions on what to do with my hair while I’m riding?  Keep in mind it has to fit under my helmet which eliminates my go to ponytail. 
Okay this is a random question, but here goes.  Who came up with the names pigtail and ponytail?  It’s not like pigs have two tails and horses only have one.  Just wondering…
I made it 14.2 miles today and now I’m watching the sunset as I type this.  That’s a pretty great way to end the day.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wish this were facebook and I could just hit "like" after every one of your entries. Like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second that... you actually should post some of them as notes on facebook... it might get the word out more. I would "like" them without a doubt, and I just might repost them and more and more people can hear about blood water mission too :)

    ReplyDelete