Friday, January 21, 2011

Reactions

The Big Deal reveal went well at school.  At first the students were a little disappointed that it wasn’t something for them, but overall they were accepting of the idea.
Some of the students’ reactions to the fact that I am biking across the Pacific coast are priceless.  When they ask me questions like how fast I will ride or how long it will take me I help them set up a proportion and then make them solve the problem on their own…haha, the math teacher strikes again.
I’m not sure middle schoolers have a great grasp on how big the United States is (and I’m sure I’ll have a better understanding of the size after this summer J).   A lot of them have asked me if I will get to take any breaks; apparently they think I will be able to complete the whole trip without stopping to sleep, eat, or use the bathroom.  One girl was feeling very generous and she said I could stop three times to take some pictures.  I even had one kid ask me how the ride went last weekend…he thought I rode the whole way over our three day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment